Thursday, June 13, 2013

Old Bananas + A Stormy Day= My Family's Favorite Banana Bread!


Hi All!

Today is supposed to be a very stormy day. But, as usual, it seems our weathermen may have been a little off... so far only some clouds. Well, at least the radar is showing some storms later. I always get excited by storms, especially when they are accompanied by some thunder and lightening!

When I came down this AM I knew it was going to be another baking day, but I didn't know what to make. After scanning the kitchen, it was evident that the bananas on my kitchen counter needed to be used in some way. I, personally, am not the biggest fan of plain bananas. I like them on cereal, in bread, muffin, and cake form, covered in peanut butter, smooched between bread with some butter and also (believe it or not...on White Rice!) I know, I know...sounds gross, but trust me. Try it! It is delicious. 

Anyway, when I saw the bananas I knew exactly what to make: Banana Bread. The recipe I made is curtsy of my mother's dear friend Mishy. This is the only banana bread my mom will ever make and now; it is my duty to make it! This recipe is honestly very simple. Some may find it daunting because it is a "from scratch" recipe, but, truly, all you do is put the ingredients into a large bowl and give it a mix! My favorite part about this recipe is the consistency of the bread when finished baking. Many banana bread recipes struggle to get a moist, yet firm and flavorful texture and taste. This bread is a recipe that if you bring it to a party; you better have the recipe on hand because most people will want to know what went into the bread. This banana bread is a celebrity at any occasion and can be made in a pinch. The longest part of this recipe's process is the actual baking, which takes a hour. 

In my family, we have always made our banana bread with chocolate chips. But, the recipe can also be made plain or with nuts. It is a very good banana bread recipe, but it is definitely a dessert! It has two sticks of butter (at least this recipe makes two loaves...two sticks=two loaves :) 

Whether you are a fan of bananas or not, you should definitely try out this bread! If anything, it will make your house smell amazing and allow the worst baker to succeed at making a delicious treat! 

Below is my family's go-to recipe for Banana Bread thanks to Mishy! 

Ingredients:
2 Cups Sugar
2 1/2 Cups Flour
1/2 TSP. Salt
2 TSP Baking Soda
3 Cups Mashed (Very ripe) Bananas (about 7)... (For the banana breads pictured, I only had 5 large bananas, but it worked out fine!)
4 Eggs
1 Cup Butter 

Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2.) Combine all ingredients 
3.) Grease two loaf pans
4.) Divide bowl's contents evenly into the two loaf pans
5.) Bake for an hour
6.) Let the bread cool for about a hour before eating/ cutting into. (Trust me...it tastes way better after cooling down!) 
Then,  add the 2 1/2 Cups of flour to the bowl. 
First, add the two cups of sugar to the bowl. 
Once you have done so, add the salt to the bowl.

Adding in the baking soda!

Look at those old bananas! Time to get transformed...


Peel the bananas so that they can get mushed!

Time to throw away the peels!

The fork will come in handy here!

MASH IT! MASH IT!

Put the mashed bananas contents into the large bowl. 

Time to add the eggs!

Make sure that there are no shells! 
Everything in the batter has been mixed. Now it is time to add the chocolate chips! 

Add 1 cup of desired chocolate chips, nuts etc. (I always do chocolate chips!) 
Dump those chocolate chips into the batter!
Incorporate the chocolate chips into the batter. 
Divide the batter into two loaf pans that have been greased. 
Put those babies into the oven! Bake @ 350 for 1 hour!

Right out of the oven!!! Smells so good. 
Don't they both look great?!


I had to cut  huge piece! It is just too good not to :)



I am going to sign off because the aroma of this bread is killing me! Off to go share some with family and enjoy some myself. Hope you guys make it and love it as much as my family does! 

Do you like putting chocolate chips and/or nuts into your banana bread? Or are you guys a fan of it plain? Let me know what you all add!


Enjoy!

˜Victoria˜


No comments:

Post a Comment